Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A slight complication...

Here is a quick update on Baby Seaborn #3.  It has been an eventful last few days to say the least.

I was admitted to the Civic Hospital on Monday evening because apparently my water broke which is an indication of labour.  Seeing as I am only at 25 weeks gestation (which is about 6.5 months, full term being 37 weeks or about 9 months), this is too early for this to be happening.  As far as the doctors can tell, I have not gone into labour yet, which is good but I have been placed on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy (which will hopefully last at least 2 more months if we are lucky).  I am in the hospital as they are administering antibiotics via IV to try and close the hole in the amniotic sac or at least to prevent infection for me and the baby.  Also, I have been given steroids to help the baby's lungs and brain develop in case I deliver in the next few days (eek).  I was informed though, that the chances of the baby surviving at this point is about 80% if I deliver today and if the baby survives there is a further 70-75% chance that the baby will not have any major complications.  All that being said, the odds of having a healthy baby increases every day that I can keep him/her in utero. 

My current plan is to leave the hospital tomorrow (since I will have completed the IV antibiotics) and then ideally deliver the baby via c-section (due to history and another fun complication with the umbilical cord) at 34 weeks (where the risk of infection outweighs the risk of having a pre-term baby) which puts the delivery date around February 9th, which is a little earlier than I originally hoped which was 37 weeks.  But on the bright side, I don't have to worry about the baby being born on February 29th (seeing as this year is a leap year).  Again, this is my plan, but as history has shown, my babies do not like to follow the laid out plan (Connor being born during 2007 Nationals and Wyatt being born a week and a day before the scheduled c-section).  Let's hope that this baby listens better to the previous two, but I can only hope.  Again this is my plan, but I still have to wait and see what the doctor's say.  I am hoping that they agree with my plan, and all things look good so far).

When I stated that I wanted to update the blog more often, I was hoping for bi-weekly updates, but it looks like I have a little more time on my hands, so I hope to able to provide more updates on Baby #3 as well as the rest of the family.

Latest ultrasound taken the morning after I was admitted...baby looks ok.
.

A gift from niece Norah.  On each day of advent, their advent calendar has a family member's name.  Tuesday's name was Baby Seaborn #3.  She drew us a picture of all of the people praying for a safe outcome.



Her other gift to me was a drawing of herself.  Since she couldn't come to the hospital, she drew me a picture of herself so she could keep me company at the hospital :)


1 comment:

Julie said...

This is probably the best article that I could find regarding what has happened: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/261137-overview#a1

I am going to stop looking for articles now...