Friday, February 13, 2009

January and then some :)

I am going to try my best to keep this more up to date with our news. I have a little bit of stream of consciousness going, so hopefully this all makes sense. Here goes:

We celebrated Christmas with the Kwoks on January 11th, which is just outside of the Christmas season, but it was the best time for all of us. We made a whole day of it starting with a brunch, followed by playing in the snow and ending with a dinner. I managed to undercook the turkey, so that was disappointing, but I think overall we still had a fantastic time.

January was a tough month for me as it was final one at work. Trying to tie up all of the loose ends before the baby is born. The bus strike only aggravated things as I had to get up quite early (5:30am) to avoid terrible traffic. So weekends were nice when I got to sleep in until 7:30. I think it was also quite difficult on Geofford because I was so tired all of the time, so he really had to take care of both Connor and I, as I wasn't the biggest help. Now that I am off work, things are much nicer - although I think I may be getting less sleep but that is due to my ballooning belly. I am torn because I really want to meet this new baby but at the same time I know that life will be a lot more hectic with a baby and a toddler in the house, but it should be fun.

I was thrown two baby showers by my friend Stephanie. The first was a pseudo-baby shower where we just had a wonderful ladies' night in/appetizer potluck. It was a lot of fun and great to see some friends that I hadn't seen in a while. The second was a work baby shower which was attended by a ton of my co-workers which was very surprising. It was also a lot of fun and really helped to make me appreciate my co-workers. It was funny though because a lot of people thought that that was my last day of work, but I still had another week, so it was a running joke that everything was my "last". I think that I had 3 or 4 "last" lunches, and in the end I worked one extra day, so I came back from one more "last" day. Too funny. I am hoping to be able to find something back at Coast Guard when I am ready to go back to work because they are a wonderful group of people.

Connor has been making such great progress over the past couple of months. Torch and Michèle saw him at Christmas and then stopped by for a night on their way to Montreal/Rawdon and noticed many changes that we may not notice because we see him everyday. I started making a list of how many words he can say and as of February 1st, he had about 35, but I suspect that he may have more because his daycare provider Lynne keeps telling us about more words that he has. It is very exciting that we can start understanding what he is saying and start communicating with him a little easier. We just hope that the transition with the new baby will be quite smooth. So far, he has changed rooms and we have started adding in the baby's things - swings, bouncy chairs, etc around the house. We took one of my old cabbage patch kids and he is holding the baby properly - although there are some times that he likes to carry the "baby" around and then sees something that interests him a little more, so he just puts the baby down on the floor. We'll see what happens with the new baby, but I know that he won't be carrying him/her around.

Geofford has been coping with work, dealing with a cranky toddler (at times) and dealing with an exhausted wife. I think he has been doing quite well, and I am very thankful to his boss that he did not have to spend two weeks in Kingston like he did last January. He did manage to have some fun - on the coldest day of January (when there was a windchill warning), he had planned with some friends and co-workers to do a canal pub crawl. In the end, some people bailed due to the cold, but he had a great time on the canal, skating from bar to bar and imbibing at each establishment. I think that next time, he will try and plan it for a day that we have plans for dinner (we were celebrating an early Chinese New Year - fortunately for him it was at my parents' house so he was able to relax a little more than if we were going out to a restaurant).

We have maximum 10 days now until the new baby is born and we'll see if we last that long. Right now I am just nesting and trying to make sure that everything is ready for the new baby's arrival. I can't wait to sleep on my back again!

1 comment:

s7uek said...

read our problems and solutions on...